Formerly a fullback for the Washington Stonewalls, Sonny has been confined to a wheelchair since he was wounded in the Korean War. To most of us, this would have been a hindrance, but not to Sonny. He proceeded to involve himself with ping pong, archery, wheelchair basketball and announcing baseball at the Michigan Park Playground.Back to Hall of Fame
Sonny discovered bowling when he went to the National Wheelchair Games that were held annually in New York City in 1963. He began bowling in the Wednesday Nite Mixed League at Riggs Plaza and continues to bowl in that league although It is now the Friday Nite Mixed 5's and bowls at Bowl America Silver Spring.
In 1965-66, he and his wife formed the Saturday Morning Junior Bowling League at Riggs Plaza. Neither one knew what the procedures were, but soon learned. They are still with the Junior Bowling League,which has turned out some fine bowlers.
Let's look at some of Sonny's accomplishments:
- Bowled on first place teams in the interfaith League at Parkland 1966-69; Mixed Foursome League at Fair Lanes University 1969-71 and 72-73; and Friday Nite Mixed Fives at Silver Spring in 1973-74.
- He has won championships in the National Olympic Wheelchair Games for eight straight years, until they dropped bowling as an event.
- He won the National Wheelchair Bowling Association national championship with a record (still stands) 602 series in 1968.
- He was champion of the Winston-Salem Wheelchair Regional Tournament for four years in a row 1969-72 and again in 1973.
- He won the championship of the Richmond, Va. Wheelchair Regional Tournament in 1972-74.
- He had the high series for wheelchair bowlers in the nation with 593 in 1971, 100 pins over average and with 563 in 1972.
- Sonny was awarded a Certificate of Appreciation from the Evening Optimist International Club of Arlington, VA, presented by Lew Fradkin. He was Honorary Chairman of the BVL fund in 1970.
- Sonny has participated In the City Tournament, State Tournament and the BOWL Magazine Tournament.
- He has bowled in the National Bowling Association's National and Regional tournaments which have been held in Chicago, Indiana, California, Wisconsin, Georgia and New Jersey.
- He was a delegate at the 1975 Atlanta Convention of the NBA and serves on the Board of Directors of the local Washington Bowling Senate.
- Sonny holds bowling clinics for the handicapped at Veterans Hospitals and the University of Maryland.
- Everyone loves Sonny because of his ability to rise above his handicap.